Spoiler alert: Take Your Dog to Work Day and Superhero Day both made the cut on our list of education and career development observances in 2020.
Admittedly, our roundup includes a few events that some might put in the “frivolous holiday” category. But by and large, we’ve included includes days, weeks, and months that are relevant to education and career development stakeholders.
So sit back, relax, and bookmark this page or mark up your wall calendar (or your iCloud, Outlook or Google calendar, etc.) so you don’t miss a thing.
Happy New Year! Even if you’re a goal-setter with a long list of resolutions you’re determined to set in motion, it can be hard to stay motivated in the dark days of January. That's why we all need mentors in our lives. January is National Mentoring Month — so there’s no better time to find a mentor, thank the mentor, or become a mentor. Join the conversation on social media with the hashtags #MentoringMonth and #MentorIRL and get involved on the following days:
- Friday, January 17 – International Mentoring Day
- Monday, January 20 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- Thursday, January 30 – #ThankYourMentorDay
While you’re thanking your mentors, dust off your gratitude journal and monthly planner because January is Thank You Month and Get Organized Month.
A few more days to celebrate in January include:
- Law Enforcement Appreciation Day – Thursday, January 9
- National Pharmacist Day – Sunday, January 12
- Clean Off Your Desk Day – Monday, January 13
- Handwriting Day – Thursday, January 23
- Better Business Communication Day – Monday, January 27
- Fun at Work Day – Tuesday, January 28 (#FunAtWorkDay)
The month kicks off with Groundhog Day on Sunday, February 2. This holiday has also become a popular time to encourage students to schedule a job shadow or two.
Next up is National School Counseling Week (February 3-7). Sponsored by American School Counselor Association (ASCA), this year’s theme is “School Counselors: Helping Build Better Humans.”
Valentine’s Day lands on a Friday this year, so be sure to book dinner reservations early if you’re heading out with your sweetheart February 14.
Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 17-21.
Here are the month-long celebrations in February:
- Career and Technical Education Month®, or CTE Month® is a public awareness campaign to celebrate the value of CTE achievements and accomplishments around the country. Share your CTE story on social media with the hashtag #CTEMonth.
- Financial Aid Awareness Month (#FinAidFeb) comes at a time when deadlines are soon approaching for college-bound students to submit the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), and there are plenty of Financial Aid Awareness and FAFSA events going on.
- African American History Month pays tribute to the generations of African Americans who struggled with adversity to achieve full citizenship in American society. Look for the hashtags #AfricanAmericanHistoryMonth and #BlackHistoryMonth.
March is women's history month. In like a lion and out like a lamb, March is one dynamic month:
- Crack open a book on Monday, March 2— Read Across America Day/3 Big Ideas for Celebrating Read Across America
- Employee Appreciation Day – Friday, March 6 (#EmployeeApreciationDay)
- National Salesperson Day – Friday, March 6
- International Women’s Day – Sunday, March 8 (#EachforEqual & #IWD2020)
- Daylight Saving Time Begins – Sunday, March 8
- National Good Samaritan Day – Friday, March 13
- Pi Day – Saturday, March 14 (#PiDay)
- International Day for Achievers – Tuesday, March 24
- Vernal Equinox – Thursday, March 19
The fourth month starts on hump day: Wednesday, April 1 is April Fool’s Day.
Month-long events in April include:
Special days and weeks in April include:
May kicks off commencement season, a time of joy and reflection for students and families. May 1 is National College Decision Day (#DecisionDay #CollegeBound). The National PTA's Teacher Appreciation Week runs May 4-8, and Tuesday, May 5, is National Teacher Day – a time to #ThankATeacher. While you’re at it, wear #REDforED on Wednesday, May 6, and if you're an educator paying for school supplies, share your receipts through the National Education Association's #outofmypocket campaign.
Other notable observances in May include:
- National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 10
- Bike to Work Day – Friday, May 15
- Employee Health & Fitness Day – Wednesday, May 20
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 25
Graduation ceremonies continue in June, a month that also brings summer breaks, vacations, weddings, picnics, and the following events and celebrations:
- Zoo and Aquarium Month
- National Leave the Office Early Day – Tuesday, June 2 (#LeaveTheOfficeEarlyDay)
- National Donut Day – Friday, June 5 (#nationaldonutday)
- National Business Etiquette Week – June 7-13 (#NationalBusinessEtiquetteWeek)
- World Oceans Day – Monday, June 8 (#WorldOceansDay)
- Flag Day – Sunday, June 14 (#FlagDay)
- Summer Solstice – Saturday, June 20
- Father’s day – Sunday, June 21
- World Handshake Day – Thursday, June 25
- Online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application deadline – Tuesday, June 30 at midnight.
- Take Your Dog to Work Day – Friday, June 26 (#TYDTWD)
Catch the fireworks on Independence Day – Saturday, July 4 – and continue the July celebrations of National Picnic Month and National Ice Cream Month.
If you’re looking for education- and career-related events in July, check out:
- Workaholics Day – Sunday, July 5
- Space Exploration Day – Monday, July 20
- International Friendship Day – Thursday, July 30
- System Administrator Appreciation Day – Friday, July 31 (#SysAdminDay)
August marks the beginning of the academic year for many schools and colleges. August is National Truancy Prevention Month, making August the perfect time to support students' engagement in school.
Special days in August include:
- Friendship Day – Sunday, August 2
- Happiness Happens Day – Saturday, August 8
- Book Lovers Day – Sunday, August 9
- International Youth Day – Wednesday, August 12 (#YouthDay)
- National Aviation Day – Wednesday, August 19
- Women’s Equality Day – Wednesday, August 26
September marks the end of summer. School is back in session, and as the academic year begins and the calendar year draws near, it’s time to celebrate College Savings Month. Spread the word to families to set up a tax-advantaged 529 plan.
Also keep these September days in mind:
- Labor Day – Monday, September 7
- International Literacy Day – September 8
- Positive Thinking Day – Sunday, September 13
- National School Backpack Awareness Day – Wednesday, September 16
- National Teaching Assistants Day – Wednesday, September 16
- Talk Like a Pirate Day – Saturday, September 19
- Autumn Equinox – Tuesday, September 22
October is National Principals Month. Make sure to #ThankaPrincipal and honor their work. October is also National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM).
Special days in October days include:
- Manufacturing Day®– Friday, October 2
- National Custodian Day – Friday, October 2
- Customer Service Week – October 5-9
- National Boss’s Day – Friday, October 16
- National Pharmacy Technician Day – Tuesday, October 20
- National Paralegal Day – Friday, October 23
- National First Responders Day – Wednesday, October 28
November is an important time for career development stakeholders, as it’s National Career Development Month. Check out the NCDA website for resources.
As the holiday season begins, take note of the following days and weeks in November:
- Daylight Saving Time Ends – Sunday, November 1
- College Goal Sunday – Sunday, November 1
- National STEM Day – Sunday, November 8
- International Accounting Day – Tuesday, November 10
- Veterans Day – Wednesday, November 11
- World Kindness Day – Friday, November 13
- Global Entrepreneurship Week – November 16-22
- Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 26
Before you set new year’s resolutions for 2021, take note of the following days in December 2020:
Talk to us.
- Did we miss a day, week, month, or event that you celebrate? Let us know.
- Tell us how Kuder has impacted you, your organization, or your community. Share your story.
Be a Mentor, Thank a Mentor
7 Ways to Celebrate Career Development Month Right Now
Celebrating Labor Day
Financial Literacy Month Lesson Plans, Activities & Resources